Monday, March 17, 2008

Midgets + costumes = Good times

I love it here. I have a corner store (which is not normal) and the woman running it is a slightly elderly midget named Heidi who is dressed up like a leprechaun today. Really, I'm not lying. Her hands look like the hands of a small porcelain doll. I love watching her give me my change.

I've been in my new apartment 3 days, and I already feel at home. It is so similar to a Sacramento apartment I have to remind myself I'm in the south. My bathtub is old and big and deep. And anyone who has lived with me or spent the night with me in a hotel will understand how happy this makes me. I also have decided to allow myself to smoke in my bathroom, with the window open. So if you call me in the evening you'll probably catch me in the bath, smoking a cigarette and reading a book. Heaven.

Yesterday I had the most country day you could imagine. I went driving with a local Tennessee boy, and here is a brief breakdown of my day:
  • Drove to the top of a mountain in the smokies to climb an ancient fire tower and look over the whole freaking state. (There was graffiti all over the inside, and half the last names were "Parton"!.
  • Checking out wild turkey's and learning all about wildlife around Knox county.
  • Being taught how to skip rocks on a beautiful lake that was totally silent.
  • Going to Dolly Parton's childhood home(!!!!)
  • Driving through the country and deciding which 150+ year old farm houses and barns were our favorites and all sorts of other neat-o super rad things.
Needless to say, it was a great day.

All this happened with a guy who builds race cars (trained at NASCAR) who hunts, fishes, drives a truck and grew up on a tobacco farm. If it sounds like I'm in another culture, I totally am. But you know, I actually like it.

I'm making Guiness Beef stew with mashed potatoes for my family tonight, along with a blue cheese vinaigrette salad and for dessert, lemon curd with fresh strawberries. You should really try the recipe (see the link.) Ask Janet and Scott, it's fucking amazing.

That's it for now. I'm going to sit outside and watch the cardinals in the backyard next to a beautiful blooming dogwood tree. I miss all my wonderful friends in California and beyond.

No comments: